Wisdom teeth that are healthy and are properly placed can be valuable in the mouth. Unfortunately, this does not happen in most cases and problems arise that cause them having to come out. For example, when the jaws are not large enough to fit your teeth, they can get impacted, meaning they cannot accommodate to come out into place. They come out crooked, only partially or remain trapped below the bone and gum.
Medical-surgical specialty that deals with the pathological processes that affect the face, neck and parts of the skull that allows the diagnosis, study, prevention and rehabilitation of the pathology of the oral cavity and the craniofacial territory and of cervical structures related directly or indirectly with these structures.
Make a consultation with our specialist medical doctor, maxillofacial surgeon to help you with any of these cases and others.
Some examples are:
- Third molars (wisdom teeth) or canines
- Pathology of the oral mucosa and temporomandibular joint
- Facial Traumatology
- Cervical oral oncology, craniofacial and
- Reconstructive Surgery
- Pathology of salivary glands (benign and malignant tumors, stones, etc.)
- Cervicofacial infectious pathology
- Buccomaxillofacial Cysts
Long after the primary teeth are replaced by permanent teeth, the wisdom teeth come out, which are a group of 4 permanent molars that erupt behind the upper and lower teeth after 12 years. The third molars are called wisdom teeth because they usually erupt between 17 and 21 years, when we reach adulthood.
Keep in mind these explanations as it will help your surgery happen without difficulties.
- Wear comfortable clothes and bring someone with you after surgery.
- Extractions can be performed with local, general anesthesia or sedation.
- After surgery you may have swelling and slight discomfort, which is part of the natural healing process.
- Cold compresses can help reduce inflammation and medicines prescribed by the dentist will help to reduce pain.
- A liquid diet is recommended after surgery and then the patient should continue with a bland diet
- Some patients feel numb in the area after surgery. The normal sensation comes back after a while.
- If you have any doubts, feel free to call us.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do wisdom teeth cause problems?
Why are wisdom teeth extracted?
The extraction of third molars can protect the overall health of your mouth. It is recommended when there are any of the following conditions:
- When they partially erupt, as it leaves an opening in the gum for bacteria to enter and cause infection, resulting in pain, swelling and general discomfort.
- When a wisdom tooth is retained, it may continue to erupt without sufficient space and cause damage to adjacent teeth.
- When a fluid-filled sac (cyst) or tumor destroying nearby structures such as bone or roots of other teeth is formed.